The Christian Humanist Podcast, Episode #79: The Doctor Is In!

General Introduction
– Welcome back!
– A hot Minnesota August
– Nathan’s premature semester
– Looking forward to David’s J-Term
Prolegomena to Rock
– Listener feedback
– Can we get Nathan to rap?
– Like us on Facebook

Explain the Encyclopedia
– A long ride on an elevator
– Introduction to Contemporary Christian Theology
– The Gilmour-est of topics
– Goodness and free will
– The virtuous pagan
– The final, autobiographical manifesto
– Nathan’s committee and his religious content

Philosophical and Theological Background
– The convergence of theology and literature
– Free will in philosophy and theology
– People outside the faith
– The writing of the dissertation changes the argument
– Nathan rewrites history

Filling the Shakespeare Gap
– Can Shakespeare write a righteous pagan?
– The tragedy/comedy divide
– Why Shakespeare can’t embrace the Calvinist move
– The textuality of the interior life
– How theological a writer is Shakespeare?

The Christian Humanist Dissertation
– Interconnectivity and breadth
– The missing altar call
– David and Michial’s theological moments
– Our podcast gets a mention

Further Stories
– Don’t get a job before you write your dissertation
– Disappearing and reappearing
– Do they shuffle you through?
Sprezzatura and serendipity
– A book for beginning seminarians

7 comments for “The Christian Humanist Podcast, Episode #79: The Doctor Is In!

1. Katelyn Thompson
    4 September 2012 at 8:43 PM

Welcome back CHP! I was worried there for awhile that you all had drifted away over the summer like our dear friends at CWC . Can’t wait to listen! (Also: I thought that the title was a reference to the new season of “Doctor Who,” which recommenced this past Saturday; a little part of me wanted there to be discussion on it. Hey, a girl can hope.)

2. 7 September 2012 at 9:51 PM

Good to hear from you, Katelyn! While I don’t watch Dr. Who, perhaps we could get one of the others to blog on it. (I don’t know that they watch either, but one can hope, no?)

3. Michial Farmer
    7 September 2012 at 9:56 PM

4. 9 September 2012 at 6:36 AM

Katelyn Thompson wrote the following: Welcome back CHP! I was worried there for awhile that you all haddrifted away over the summer like our dear friends at CWC . Can’t waitto listen! (Also: I thought that the title was a reference to the newseason of “Doctor Who,” which recommenced this past Saturday; a littlepart of me wanted there to be discussion on it. Hey, a girl can hope.)Michial Farmer responded thus:I’m afraid I’ve seen only one episode (the Van Gogh one), though I did watch last summer’s “Torchwood” miniseries.I do apologize for the disappearance of those two comments, but I am trying to work all of this out.NPG

• 10 September 2012 at 9:56 AM

ngilmour  The new season of Doctor Who  has been great so far!  You should watch it.  I liked the premier so much I made a Motivational Poster from it.  My wife posted it to her blog: http://cheesewearingtheology.com/2012/09/10/motivational-monday-64/Honestly, people, I am surprised at the lack of Who-enthusiasm at such an otherwise-outstanding blog.

• 10 September 2012 at 9:56 AM

ngilmour  Who-enthusiasm.  Enth-WHO-siasm?

• katelynlthompson
        10 September 2012 at 10:01 PM

Charles H ngilmour – Thought the Asylum poster was great, and this is only partly due to my irrational love for the fictional character of Rory Williams-Pond.  @Michial, lack of enthusiasm for the series is somewhat understandable if Torchwood: Miracle Day was your initiation to the DW-verse. I am utterly in awe that Vincent and the Doctor didn’t pull you in, though. One of the other great episodes to start with is Blink, which has David Tennant as the Doctor and Carey Mulligan as the pseudo-companion.