Christina Bieber Lake, Victoria Reynolds Farmer, and Katie Grubbs, talk about book five of the Republic.
- Our translations of the Republic: Benjamin Jowett (1888) and Richard W. Sterling and William C. Scott (1985).
- Plato is at least better than Aristotle on the subject of women.
- The Giver is Platonist to its core. So is Marge Piercy’s Woman at the Edge of Time. And Shulamith Firestone’s The Dialectic of Sex has some things in common with the Republic.
- Simone de Beauvoir complains about women being made the body to the male mind in The Second Sex.
- Betty Friedan’s The Feminine Mystique shows the way women are tricked by convenience.
- Our theme music was provided by Blue Dot Sessions.
Relevant Network Shows