Come on Barbie, let’s go party!
What was your experience of attending the film like? Also, did you have Barbies growing up? Any other Barbie memories or stories that the film brought up for you?
Knowing and Reading
- Greta Gerwig’s decision to make this film, and then ask: what did you learn from the NYT piece, or Christina’s review, or any other review you’ve read that you thought was particularly interesting or problematic?
- Gerwig said she’s “doing the thing and subverting the thing,” which is to say that she is appealing to consumer culture and hype even while it is subverting it. What are the advantages and disadvantages of that approach?
- Will the feminist message win the day, or will it be missed?
- Is there any part of the film that you think was especially smart?
- Musical theater references
- Indigo Girls
- Pop culture references, including Matchbox 20
- Failed Barbie models
- Easter eggs
- Is there any part you disliked or found troubling? Why?
Sarah – Leah Libresco Sargeant, “For Barbie, the Winning Move is not to Play”
Victoria – Tiny Shoulders documentary
Christina – Fairer Disputations