Jordan Poss and David Grubbs talk about books 8 and 9 of Homer’s Odyssey.
- Our translation of Homer: Robert Fagles (1996).
- This is the Terminator 2 of the ancient world.
- Hebrews 13:2: “Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.”
- Jordan doesn’t show Schindler’s List to his guests, in the spirit of hospitality.
- Is Book 8 Self-Insert Fic?
- Other blind characters in classical literature: Tiresias (Oedipus the King) and Phineas (Argonautica). David half-remembers John Mark Reynolds talking about this.
- Other author cameos: Alfred Hitchcock and M. Night Shyamalan.
- Sports are a way to have an aristeia with a low body count.
- Chariots of Fire shows the sacred elements in athletic competition.
- Odysseus finds himself checking in to the Hotel California.
- Jordan makes one of our many references to O Brother, Where Art Thou?
- Aristotle calls man a political animal in the Politics. (Stay tuned for a future series on this book here on The Core Curriculum.)
- Our theme music was provided by Blue Dot Sessions.
RELEVANT NETWORK SHOWS
- The Christian Feminist Podcast 123: Sarah Conner.
- The Christian Humanist Podcast 18: Sports.
- The Christian Humanist Podcast 27: Superheroes.
- The Christian Humanist Podcast 60: Sophocles.
- The Christian Humanist Podcast 82: The Ocean.