Jay Eldred and Charles Hackney talk about the ninth book of Plato’s Republic.
- The tyrant Lex Luthor.
- Who said, “One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic”? It’s complicated.
- Stalin may or may not have barricaded himself into the Kremlin, but he definitely got paranoid in his final years. So did Alexander.
- Some men just like to watch the world burn.
- The tyrant devolves like the boys on Pleasure Island.
- Plato’s calculation reminds Jay of an xkcd comic.
- Beware the shoggoth!
- Jay spoils The Good Place finale.
- C.S. Lewis on tyranny:
Of all the tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under the omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber barons cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- Winston Churchill said that “democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.”
- Our theme music was provided by Blue Dot Sessions.
Relevant Network Shows