Today we conclude the first season of The Pietist Schoolman by talking with the woman whose preface opened our book, The Pietist Vision of Christian Higher Education. After spending much of her career as a professor at Calvin College, geographer Janel Curry became the provost of Gordon College in 2012.
Janel and I talked about women in leadership at evangelical institutions, the nature of religious pluralism, and the future of Christian higher education in light of debates over sexuality and the challenges and opportunities of globalization.
• Janel Curry, “Who Am I? Reflections on Religious Pluralism,” Reflections on Place and Cross-Cultural Geography, July 21, 2014.
• Learn about the Women in Leadership National Study, which Janel heads with sociologist Amy Reynolds.
• Joel Carpenter, Perry L. Glanzer, and Nicholas S. Lantinga, Christian Higher Education: A Global Reconnaissance (Eerdmans, 2014).
On the sexuality controversy at Gordon:
• Peter Schworm, “Social issues swirl at Gordon College,” Boston Globe, Aug. 13, 2014.
• “Accreditor Gives Gordon College a Year to Justify Policy on ‘Homosexual Practice,’” Inside Higher Ed, Sept. 26, 2014.
• Andrew Sullivan, “In Defense of Gordon College,” The Dish, Oct. 8, 2014.
• Rachel Zoll, “Gordon College President Was Surprised At Reaction To Anti-Gay Stance,” Associated Press, Nov. 3, 2014.
• Jake New, “Keeping a Ban, Offering Support,” Inside Higher Ed, March 17, 2015.
If you missed any of the first season of The Pietist Schoolman Podcast, you can find a list of episodes with guests, airdates, and links at my website.
We’ll be back later this year with season 2. Thanks for listening!