New Testament Humility
– The ethics of humility
– The Golden Rule, further
– Christ’s kenosis and ours
– Greatness requires great humility
– Gregory the Great Servant
– Aristotelian balance
– Seven virtues
– The interconnectedness of virtue
– Humility as check on magnanimity
Dante’s Terrace of the Prideful
– Exemplary statues
– The triple humility of the Annunciation
– David’s humble showmanship
– Trajan as model for Christian humility
– Justice needs humility
– The trials of the proud
Nietzsche Deconstructs Humility
– Return to pagan morality
– Inversion of master and slave
– Socratic and Christian humility
– Freud’s Neurotic Humility
– Modern self-esteem
– The quiet hobbit
– Whitman’s egotheism
– Rebel rebel angels join the chorus
Humility as Tool of the Powerful
– Philippians as cure
– Quiet oppression
– The example of Africa
– Thomas’ pre-solution
– What isn’t humility?
Thomas Aquinas. Summa Theologica. Trans. Fathers of the English Dominican Province. New York: Christian Classics, 1981. Five Volumes.
Dante. The Divine Comedy. Trans. Mark Musa. New York: Penguin, 2002. Three Volumes.
Franklin, Benjamin. Autobiography. New York: Norton, 2012.
Milton, John. The Complete Poems. New York: Norton, 2004.
Nietzsche, Friedrich. Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Trans. Adrian del Caro. New York: Cambridge UP, 2006.
Tolkien, J.R.R. The Lord of the Rings. Seattle: Mariner, 2005.
Whitman, Walt. Leaves of Grass. New York: Modern Library, 1993.