Who Is Philip Cary?
– And who designed his book cover?
– Eastern University
– Anxiety and the Protestant tradition
– Academics and popular writings
Why read Cary?
– The prevalence of the New Evangelicalism
– Taking the New Evangelicalism seriously
– Counseling students
What Is the New Evangelicalism?
– Consumerism + Protestantism
– Novelty, desire, lack of responsibility
– I’m only human
– Keeping up with the Joneses
– Anxiety enters in
Hearing God’s Voice in Your Heart
– Getting psychological
– Why you can’t necessarily trust your interior voice
– Biblical illiteracy
– Making up your own God
– When you can trust your instincts
Don’t Miss Heaven by Fourteen Inches
– Hebrew vs. Greek
– Thinking about feelings
– Reflecting unanxiously about your motivations
– Proper sequences
– Emotions as perception
– Who’s to blame?
– Revival preachers and advertising
– Bible-shaped imagination
– Applying literature
– Application, and then application
But What Can Professors Do?
– Why teaching literature helps
– The peasant women
– Using your authority
– Don’t just assign it
What We Would Add
– Well, my Bible says that . . .
– Theological trump card
– Shaping the affections