Weaver and Plato, Redux
– Gorgias boasts—again
– How ultimate terms sway the masses
– What does charismatic mean?
God Terms and Devil Terms
– The movement and destination of rhetoric
– Progress as ultimate end of human existence
– Metanarratives, progressives and liberals
– Science! Science! Science!
– Prejudice and bigotry
Ultimate Terms and Politics
– Just try to analyze ‘em
– Unbuckling the word from the meaning
– Soundbite culture
– Patriotism: the last refuge of the scoundrel
– Live free or die
Religious God and Devil Terms
– Nathan Gilmour, the fundamentalist
– An ex-cathedra pronouncement re: religion
– Whose traditions?
– Why we’re all syncretists
– Nathan praises the Emergent Church for once
Let’s Talk Profanity!
– Thinkin’ ‘bout elimination
– Defecatory and copulatory inversion
– David Grubbs defends vulgarity
Can We Do Without Ultimate Terms?
– Why we need to talk about God, justice, and love
– Rhetoric needs a direction
– Analyzing the terms
A Practical Word to Freshman-Comp Teachers
– Educating on an individual level
– The Mr. Spock confusion riff
– The definition essay
– Legalizing marijuana, man
– Victoria’s undermining of ethnic slurs