Talking Back, Not Bach
– One hand in the hornet’s nest
– Forgive us, please
– David and Michial hate each other
What Is Emotion, Anyway?
– Good feelings and a warm heart
– The Presence of GodTM
– Biological emotion
– Talkin’ bipolar
– That’s when it hit me: That luv is a verb!
– Emotion as orientation of affection
Calvinism and Emotions
– Why are we so suspicious?
– Calvinist intellectualism
– St. Augustine’s distrust of emotions
– Where the big T fits in
– A New Kind of Schleiermacherian Emotionalism
– Engaging emotion with the Pietists
– Head knowledge and heart knowledge
– Let’s talk Being instead of heart
– Where the Neo-Orthodox get it right
– On desire, in German
– The Calvinist worship service and the redirection of affection
– But who are we to judge?
– And here come the negative emotions!
Emotion in the Psalms
– Psalm 22 and Christ on the cross
– Moving from lowliness to glory
– How much did Christ have in mind?
– How “As the Deer” got it wrong
– The Psalm of Asaph
– From emotion to understanding to emotion
Jesus Is My Boyfriend
– The strange sexual hang-ups of “In the Secret”
– Ah, but we digress: the Song of Solomon
– Parental advisory
Public and Private Worship
– Jesus is my personal boyfriend (in the Middle Ages, anyway)
– Feelin’ Icky (The Book of Margery Kempe Song)
– Are Americans uncomfortable with corporate worship?
– Leaving on the emotion
– Is a Manwich a meal or an hors d’oeuvre?
– Yeah…we don’t like music
– We’re not terribly cuddly
– Eeyore and Tigger
– Worship beyond music
– Waiting for the end of the prayer
Augustine. Confessions. Trans. R.S. Pine-Coffin. New York: Penguin, 1961.
Barth, Karl. Church Dogmatics: A Selection. Philadelphia: Westminster John Knox, 1994.
Calvin, John. The Institutes of the Christian Religion. Trans. Ford Lewis Battles. Philadelphia: Westminster, 1960.
Kempe, Margery. The Book of Margery Kempe. New York: Penguin, 1985.
Lewis, C.S. Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life. New York: Harcourt, 1995.
Schleiermacher, Friedrich. On Religion: Speeches to Its Cultured Despisers. Ed. Richard Crouter. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1996.
Wetmore, Robert D. Worship the Way It Was Meant to Be: 15 Biblical Principles for Knowing and Loving God. Camp Hill, Penn.: Christian Publications, 2003.