Marie Hause, Katie Grubbs, and Christina Bieber Lake take on biblical bad girl Queen Athaliah.
- Background on Queen Athaliah
- Summary of the context and content of 2 Kings 11 and 2 Chronicles 22-23
- Two different approaches to Athaliah
- Liz Curtis Higgs in Really Bad Girls of the Bible (2008)
- Kyung Sook Lee in “Books of Kings: Images of Women without Women’s Reality” from Feminist Biblical Interpretation: A Compendium of Critical Commentary on the Books of the Bible and Related Literature (2012)
- As feminists, what do we do with a difficult biblical figure like this?
- How we each would teach or preach on these passages
- Fantasy series The Queen’s Thief, by Megan Whalen Turner
- The character Queen Margaret of Anjou in Shakespeare’s First Tetralogy
- Helen Morales, Antigone Rising: The Subversive Power of the Ancient Myths (2020)
Image: Athaliah, as depicted in Antoine Dufour’s Vie des femmes célèbres, c. 1505; in the Dobrée Museum, Nantes, France | Wikimedia Commons