The Patience of Job
– The patience of Job?
– Gregory the Great (again!)
– Shall we blame his friends?
– The plurality of wisdom literature
– Interrogating James
– Humility and patience
New Testament Patience
– Fruit of the Spirit
– Macrothumia: “being long of will”
– Perseverance and endurance
– The time between times
– Multiple patiences
Augustine and Patience
– Yeah, it’s in there
– Good temper
– Patience as species of anger
– Patristic adaptations
– Nathan beats another dead horse
– Implication rather than statement
– Thinking clearly about reality
– Our arbitrary world
– One thing leads to another
– Stoicism and Christianity
– Self-control and love
– The patient Griselda
– Abusing patience
– Fabius Maximus as patient dictator
– Olaf, glad, big, and patient
– Defending Booker T. Washington
– Practical, not intellectual
– Personal virtue
– The Greek and the Christian
– Modeling God’s patience
Aristotle. Nicomachean Ethics. Trans. Terence Irwin. New York: Hackett, 1999.
Chaucer, Geoffrey. The Canterbury Tales. New York: Oxford UP, 2008.
Cummings, E.E. Complete Poems, 1904-1962. New York: Liveright, 1994.
Epictetus. Enchiridion. Trans. George Long. Seattle: CreateSpace, 2011.
Gregory the Great. Morals on Book of Job. Trans. John Henry Parker. Charleston, SC: BiblioBazaar, 2010.
Marcus Aurelius. Meditations. New York: Simon and Brown, 2012.
Markus, R.A. Saeculum: History and Society in the Theology of St. Augustine. New York: Cambridge UP, 1989.
Tertullian. The Writings of Tertullian. Whitefish, MT: Kessinger, 2004.
Thomas Aquinas. Summa Theologicae. New York: Christian Classics, 1981. 5 volumes.
Washington, Booker T. Up from Slavery. New York: Tribeca, 2011.